what does it mean to be chinese?
This was the first serious piece of writing I ever did outside of school, and some of my early forays into graphic design.
I wrote this while spending a summer in China, interviewing and eavesdropping and taking notes on everything.
- a poster of Dwayne Wade
- a self-deprecating slogan on a bumper sticker
- an old woman at a kitchen table
- a young woman in a hospital bed
- watching, through a window, a neighbor's little daughter get beat
- standing up in the back of a pickup truck going 100 mph down an empty desert highway
I was thinking a lot about happiness, writing, race, and familial relationships/obligations during this time, so that definitely colored the questions I was asking people and the things I was noticing. I was still pretty moved by what I was seeing, though.